Thursday, December 22, 2011

Grey's first trip to the ER

Actually, it was the walk-in clinic at Moses Cone, but ER sounds so much more exciting…

A few weeks ago, I was making a valance for Skylar's room (its finished and I love it… will post about it soon!), but I was ironing the fabric and went to use the bathroom. Grey walked in the room and dummy me, left the iron on the table.

I hear a loud crash and know immediately what happened and just prayed it wasn't his face.

It was his hand. :*(

Poor little guy was okay after the first minute, but then started crying about 30 minutes later. We had kept it in cold water at first and I guess when he left that, the burn really came back. We put some aloe on it, gave him some meds and called the on-call nurse at the Peds office.

She told us to go on in the to ER. I decided to go to the walk-in clinic instead because I knew where that was. I figured they could point me in the right direction if it wasn't right. The ER was somewhere in the near vicinity so it wouldn't have taken us too long to hop back in the car and go there instead.

Grey was pretty upset until we got to the clinic, and then he was mostly fine. I had a washrag to keep on his hand and as long as he had that, he was okay.

By the time we got in to see the doctor, a huge blister had formed over the burn. The main part was in the crease between his thumb and forefinger, but the tips of his first two fingers also got burned. You can see slightly where it goes all the way up his forefinger practically.
He was amazed by all of the "toys" in the room. He especially loved the heart rate machine…

It was late for him and he was pretty tired, so I snuggled up on the bed and we watched Netflix on the phone while waiting. I don't really understand doctor's offices and how one person comes in, asks you some questions and says the doctor will be right in. We wait some more.

The doctor comes in, asks you pretty much the same questions and says they need to check out the best thing to do for one so little…

We wait some more…

The doctor comes back in and says this is our protocol: blah, blah, blah. You are all caught up on vaccines right? Um, no….

(Do I tell them that I missed his 18-month check-up because his sister broke her leg and I was too busy taking her to all of the specialists??) No, I just didn't make his appt.

We wait some more.

The nurse comes in to bandage him up. But didn't finish.

We wait some more.

A second nurse comes in to finish the bandage.

We wait some more.

The first nurse comes back in to give him his DTAP vaccine.

We wait some more.

The doctor comes back in to check everything over.

We wait some more.

The nurse comes back to give us our discharge papers.

We can leave!!

It was a long night.

And we might or might not have broken the stethoscope while waiting.

But, Grey was a model patient for the all the nurses and doctors and let them do whatever they wanted. He didn't even cry when they gave him a shot.
Although he thought about it!
I'm glad to say that he is all healed and doing nicely! He didn't even seem to notice his hand after that, until we took his bandage off twice a day to clean and reapply cream. Then he would hold up his hand and say, "hurt" in his most pitiful little voice.

No comments: