Saturday, November 8, 2008

Conflicted about abortion. Pro-life or Pro-choice?

Lately, the cause of abortion has come up several times in several ways in my life. With the election, learning about failed abortions and providing life-saving treatments, to the substitute in my school's class, to my housemate posting a note about the website www.abort73.com. So, I decided to take a look at this website and have rarely been so conflicted with anger and sadness for these little babies. I have always heard many things about abortion, but never knew what exactly takes place through my own ignorance as there have been available answers for many years now if I cared to look online.

 The bottom line is, I needed to make a choice. Either I was pro-life or pro-choice as there is no in between. I thought I could secretly be pro-choice and just not force my opinion on other people- especially those that were forced into having to make a choice themselves by someone else's act of violence (i.e., rape victims). I always said things like, "oh, I could never do it myself, but who am I to tell other people what to do. I can't be their moral judge." Basically I was just coping out from making a truly informed decision about how I felt on abortion because I did not want to put myself in the same group as a radical christian or republican. As if the two are the same. This is not a religious decision for me. 

Now, I realize how wrong I was. By not being pro-life, I was pro-choice. And although the term "pro-choice" sounds great, it is actually just a way to disguise what abortion really is. The murder of defenseless baby. Please see the website www.abort73.com and look at the philosophical section as it lists out all of the reasons why abortion is wrong- even for those babies of unwanted pregnancies, rape, poverty, drug addiction, etc. It is not about choice or circumstance- it is about humanity. The bottom line if whether or not you believe a baby become a human after it is born or while still in the womb. For me, it was the video of the baby being aborted at 12 weeks of gestation that finally convinced me to be "pro-choice" by choosing to be pro-life. When I saw the video of the baby innocently sucking his thumb in the womb seconds before trying desperately to get away from the suctioning instrument (vacuum) that would tear his limbs from his body, there was no doubt left for me that the baby sensed danger and tried to save his own life- however defenseless he was. And this baby was only at 12 weeks gestation. Imagine what it is like for the babies who are aborted at 21 weeks of gestation- when they are viable. 

And what angers me even more is to think that even after being aborted, some babies are still born alive. They are failed abortions that are born and are still alive. Please tell me that you don't think that innocent baby is not in pain, not aware of being in danger. The only difference between an aborted baby and an infant is where they live. One lives in a house (hopefully) while the other lives in the womb. In fact, some aborted babies are bigger and more developed that premature infants who live. This is wrong. 

My favorite quote from the website was from a well-known feminist Naomi Wolf who said, "How can we charge that it is vile and repulsive for pro-lifers to brandish vile and repulsive images if the images are real? To insist that the truth is in poor taste is the very height of hypocrisy. Besides, if these images are often the facts of the matter, and if we then claim that it is offensive for pro-choice women to be confronted by them, then we are making the judgment that women are too inherently weak to face a truth about which they have to make a grave decision. This view of women is unworthy of feminism." 

All I wanted to do here is state how I feel, and what brought me to that conclusion. Now I know what I will saw when the  next person asks me how I feel about abortion, because lately it seems to happen frequently. And I will be proud to say it. I am pro-life. 

p.s. I found it interested what the site said about Planned Parenthood and how it began; something I never would have known before.

No comments: